Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Getting sick is a real Home Wrecker


“I was a kid and I was already worrying about my diet. It made me very self conscious. I didn’t really understand it, but it stigmatized me.”

During most of my childhood my mom was overweight. She was always on one diet after another without very much success. It wasn’t until her doctor discovered she had a thyroid problem that she was actually able to lose weight. After all those years of stringent programs, all it took was one tiny pill to make all the difference for her. I guess that is why they call it “practicing medicine.” I have to wonder why it took the doctors so many years to figure out she had a problem? The medical system is like that. Getting a proper diagnosis can be very frustrating. I learned that the hard way when I got sick. Getting sick was a real Home Wrecker.  Everything changed in an instant. It was a real education and I had to learn everything the hard way. You really have to be your own advocate and be knowledgable enough to know which questions to ask. That is easier said than done. That is for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment