Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I'm not a Home Wrecker but a Warrior!


“After being in Orange County for a year, I got sick. Just as I was adjusting to my new life....”

While doing my afternoon yoga routine today I couldn’t help but be reminded of how very lucky I am. Several months earlier I couldn’t even have imagined getting into some of those strenuous positions. After being diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease back in 2007 the athletic girl that I used to be had become all but a distant memory. During that time I could barely walk into a room. I had been paralyzed for a couple of months which felt like a life time. At first I couldn’t even move my toes. I remember my first physical therapist couldn’t even look me in the eye. She saw this tiny sickly girl and it scared her. She told me months later that she didn’t know how to relate to me. After all, we were the same age. It was too much reality.  I am sure she was thinking the same thing could have happened to her.
Being restricted to a hospital bed and a wheel chair the doctors thought I would never walk again. They told me this without very much emotion. At that moment it felt as if my life had been stollen away from me. Before then I had been living a very active life style running, doing yoga, teaching spinning and weight lifting classes. Within hours everything about my old life was gone in a puff of smoke. This illness was my Home Wrecker.  From then on nothing was ever going to be the same.
After months of physical therapy and heavy steroid treatments I was able to walk without assistance. About a year later I was able to make it back to the gym.  Just being able to walk along the paved sidewalks with the wind blowing in my face felt like a blessing. I learned it was the little things in life that matter.
Today while I take to the warrior pose my body feels strong, agile, and balanced. I don’t think this challenge would have felt this empowering if so much had not been taken away from me. Now I understand what it is to be grateful for the little things in life. I mean sincerely grateful. Every time that I am able to walk into the grocery store, the gym, or up the flights of stairs to my apartment I am thanking the higher power that is blessing me with one more day.

Does anyone have any Home Wrecker stories? Are you a survivor? Have you ever had to be stronger than you ever thought you could be?



No comments:

Post a Comment