Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tanning Bed Home Wrecker


“One afternoon, I received a phone call from my dermatologist telling me that he had some very serious news to share with me.”

I always thought I took good care of myself. I prided myself on eating healthy and exercising on a regular basis. I should have been the poster child of health and yet I was not. In my late teens and early twenties I started using the tanning bed. I always had the perfect tan. My skin glowed of health. But that was then. Years later I was diagnosed with melanoma which is the worst kind of skin cancer you can get and is the most deadly. I thought the tanning bed was safer than going out in the sun but how wrong I was.
One day I noticed a small mole on my butt that looked like a freckle, yet I had never seen that freckle before. That is a sign to see your doctor. My mole did not look like anything suspicious but it was new. It wasn’t irregular in shape or overly dark in color. In fact a year earlier when I first caught sight of this mark I asked my general practitioner to check it out. She looked at it and laughed. She led me to believe I was being a hypochondriac. After that, I let it go and didn’t think about it again until one day that I was going to my dermatologist for a Botox treatment. I wasn’t even going to bring up this freckle but for some reason I did at the last minute. My dermatologist didn’t think it looked like cancer at all but wanted to do a biopsy just to be safe. Less than a week later the results came back as Melanoma. It is a funny way to look at but but Botox might have actually saved my life!
The tanning bed is a true to life Home Wrecker and almost cost me everything. Sadly, it may be the reason my life comes to a screeching halt.



No comments:

Post a Comment