Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Jessie


Today I received some extremely sad news. My ex-sister in-law called me to tell me her mom Jessie has died. For years her and I have not only been family, but we were the best of friends. We have been able to share EVERYTHING with each other. Even though I was no longer part of the family for obvious reasons, Jessie still made me feel special. Our friendship only got stronger through the years. She accepted me and showed her love towards me when other people did not. During the tough first year of my divorce, Jessie stayed loyal and supported me in every way. She never judged me or became critical of my actions. Her love for me was unconditional. Our time together was so special. We acted like two silly teenagers. We couldn’t wait to get together so we could share the latest gossip and laugh about everyday things. I will miss those moments with all my heart and soul. 

There are so many things I wish I could tell her today. That is the sad thing about death, it is so final. Thankfully when she was here we never held back and we were able to tell each other how much we loved one another.

Since my divorce was so ugly I do not feel it is right to attend Jessie’s funeral. Funerals are for the living and my friend is now gone. This is something I have thought about ever since I walked away from my marriage. I knew if this were to happen I would have to step aside. As close as we were, when I decided to end my marriage I knew I had to say goodbye to the people that had been such a big part of my life for so many years. Thankfully, my sister-in-law, mother-in-law and Jessie never took sides. They made it clear that they loved us both. For that, I will always be grateful.

Today is a good day to tell the people that you love how much they mean to you. If I were given the chance, I would thank Jessie for all she has meant to me and give her one of the longest hugs ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment