Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Broken Spokes by Arlene R. O'Neil




Broken Spokes is more than a well-written, interesting read. It is an inspirational collection of the memories of a courageous child who, in spite of physical and emotional suffering, grew into a compassionate, loving and valiant woman. Crippled at age six, the author begins an odyssey which will consume her entire life. Through her sufferings, she finds a way to heal others, and in doing so, saves herself.

Available on Amazon.com




My review of Broken Spokes by Arlene R. O’Neil


This book really touched me. I could relate to much of the sadness even though my story Home Wrecker is very different. I think both our stories were written from the heart. I could feel that by reading Broken Spokes. This book pulled me right in and broke my heart right from the very start. I could really see this child in front of me. It was so well written that I found myself getting a bit dizzy while the story was progressing. It is a powerful story that I read in just two sittings. I didn't want to put it down because I needed to know that this character was okay. I have read some books where the main character doesn't really interest me but that was not the case in this story. There were so many lines in the book that I wanted to highlight because they were so profound. I am glad that I read this book because it moved me and made me see how lucky we are for all the blessing in our lives. It makes you realize to NEVER EVER take your life or health for granted!

“I ran past my birthday present into the open arms of my father, who knelt down glowing with pride. After a hug that spoke volumes, Dad sat me on his lap and gave me my first lesson in the, “Barter System.”

“Well, Honey,” he explained. “It just so happens that the owner of the store needs help putting up new racks so he can display more bicycles. I agreed to build them if he would sell me your bike for less money.”

This was also my first in, “Dads can do anything.” At least mine could.

1 comment:

  1. Great job ladies! I loved the book also and was so inspired by Arlene herself. I was fortunate enough to actually meet her when she was traveling through Atlanta, GA.

    ReplyDelete