Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ontario by Heidi Nicole Bird


Ontario by Heidi Nicole Bird is out!!!
Links to Ontario:
Paperback                                       Kindle Store
Excerpt
I was happy and excited when I got into bed that night, but it wasn’t long before I remembered what had happened the night before. I lay in my bed for a long time without sleeping, not daring to, because each time I closed my eyes I saw the same thing: my mother’s promising face. After several hours I couldn’t take it anymore and I threw the covers off. 
As my feet hit the floor I heard a quiet clap of thunder from outside. A little voice in my head told me not to, but I grabbed my umbrella anyway and headed upstairs and out the front door. 
It wasn’t pouring, but the rain was coming down in a steady drizzle. I stood on the porch for a few minutes, just watching the rain. It seemed to be beckoning to me, calling me to somewhere that would distract me from my mother. . . .

My 5 Star Review for Ontario!!!!!
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/593959849

Ontario is a heart-warming saga with real depth even though it is a YA novel. I think readers will identify with the subject matter and connect to the characters in a special way. 

I am not sure where Miss Bird found her inspiration but this book was filled with true-life raw emotion and felt relatable to me. I was drawn into the main character, Ontario from the very first pages. This is a painful story in some ways but not without real optimism and something I admire more than anything, ZEST FOR LIFE!!! This sweet story touched my heart!


"I wished that Kelly-Ann would appreciate the things she had more. She was lucky she had been given a car at all, and even luckier that her Dad was just going to buy her another one simply because she didn't have one anymore. There were a lot of things that Kelly-Ann took for granted that I wished she wouldn't. Like her parents. She rarely spoke of them, which always annoyed me. Some days I just wanted to smack her across the face and force her to realize how lucky she was."

Book Blurb 

“Don’t worry, Ontario, I’ll never leave you. You will always have me here to protect you and your brother.” 

Those words from a childhood memory would haunt Ontario Stratton for the rest of her life. Losing her father had been difficult enough, but her life would change even more drastically at the beginning of her senior year of high school. Only weeks into the school year Mrs. Stratton abandons her two children for a more carefree way of living. Suddenly thrown into a very different life, Ontario clings to her brother Eddy, her new legal guardian, and to no one else. Could she trust anyone anymore? Even her best friend isn’t there for her. . .

In order to feel like less of a burden on her brother, Ontario gets a job at the local fifties-style diner. It is there that she meets her new “family,” including the oh-so-intriguing Austin, the only one who can help her truly heal. In time, Ontario discovers that Austin has his own demons, and that he needs her just as much as she needs him. Some things in Ontario’s life begin to come together again, but others continue to fall apart. Though her world seems to be breaking, she is introduced to a kind of happiness she has never known before, and her new found friends show her that maybe, just maybe, she can learn to love again.


Author Bio

Heidi Nicole Bird has been writing for as long as she can remember and it is her favorite thing in the world. Heidi is a regular NaNoWriMo participant and is mostly a young adult fantasy writer, but also likes to write juvenile fiction and other genres. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in History from Brigham Young University and she looks forward to exploring the genre of historical fiction. Heidi lives in Utah with her family and three dogs, and loves working from home as a full time writer.
Also by Heidi Nicole Bird, Through the Paper Wall 


Description:

Things haven’t been the same between Jesse and Dad since Mom died, and now Jesse’s worst fears are coming true. Not only has he been forced to move across the country, but Dad is also flirting like crazy with his new girlfriend. In an attempt to get away from the two lovebirds, Jesse starts to explore his new house and what he finds changes everything. Hidden in Jesse’s basement is a room the adults can’t see, and leading from the room is a massive tunnel. That’s not the only weird thing about Jesse’s new house, though. It’s also tagged with all sorts of rumors. Could the house actually be haunted like some people think? With the help of his new friend Jake, Jesse soon discovers the truth, and they find themselves in a situation that is way out of their control. Ambyth, an eternal city of teenagers, is anything but a safe place for Jesse and Jake to be. Together they must overcome the evil that Jesse’s house has been hiding for 
decades, and they have to do it before time runs out.

My 5 Star Review for Through The Paper Wall:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/537386719

I found Through the Paper Wall to be precious on so many levels. Even though it is geared towards YA I think a person can appreciate the message at any age. It is a reminder that life is fragile and we should be thankful for whatever we have. Even our thoughts should not be taken for granted and we should never judge a book by it's cover or give into pier pressure. If you have lived life you have experienced some kind of pain, loss, or indifference. The narrator takes you on a mysterious journey and does so in a captivating and oh so creative fashion while still being able to share valuable life lessons along the way.

"Plants were brighter here, and they had more personality somehow, as if they were excited to be living, or as if something was making them brighter than normal. The trees grew in weird ways, not straight up, but in twists and turns, and they had large, beautiful leaves. Some trees had mixed leaves of all sorts of sizes and shapes. Some of them looked like a crazy artist's painting come to life."

Links:
Links to Ontario:
Paperback                                       Kindle Store




No comments:

Post a Comment