Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tasty Summer Reads Blog Hop


Greta Burroughs’ tagged me to be a part of the Tasty Summer Reads Blog Hop.  To participate I am to post the answers to some "tasty" questions, an excerpt from my book, and a recipe.  So, without further ado. . .

Here is the blog hop general blurb:
Welcome to the Tasty Summer Reads Blog Hop! Each participant invites a number of others to answer five questions about a recent or forthcoming release, and a recipe that fits with it. Links to the participants I have invited may be found in a while, just above the excerpt and recipe. Their contributions should be in place soon after this, so check out their blogs over the next few days.
Now for the Random Tasty Questions:
  1. When writing are you a snacker? If so sweet or salty?
No snacking! Oh gosh, it is way too messy and not good for my keyboard. Which reminds me, I really need to do a good cleaning.
When I am writing I sip on water and suck on candies. I save the fun food for later!!! There is always a reward!!!
  1. Are you an outliner or someone who writes by the seat of their pants? And are they real pants or jammies? 
I am not organized enough to write an actual outline. Hahahahah!!! I guess you can say I write by the seat of my pants. I am usually wearing boys boxers when I am at home writing! No briefs!!! ;-)
  1. When cooking, do you follow a recipe or do you wing it?
Cooking? Excuse me, that is not really in my vocabulary. Not now. Not ever. I am not much of a cook. I was really spoiled because my ex-brother-in-law was the cook of the family. Anything we wished for he would make and it was all delicious! Besides missing my dogs, that might be one of the things I miss the most after the divorce. The food!!!! His cooking was out of this world!!!
  1. What is next for you after this book?
Home Wrecker I is part of a trilogy. Book two Home Wrecker II: The Brooklyn Chronicles will be out shortly! 

In "Home Wrecker: The Brooklyn Chronicles" we hear the story of things that shaped Brooklyn's life and helped make her who she is today. We learn about the trials of an unhappy marriage and a deep, abiding love that will not be denied. We also get a glimpse of the trouble a wife who does not want to become an "ex" can cause if she puts her mind to it. Will Brooklyn and Bo win the day, or will all be lost to a bitter woman?
 Last question…on a level of one being slightly naughty and ten being whoo hoo steamy, how would you rate your book?

Well, I would say that Home Wrecker I is more naughty than steamy. There is a lot of naughty (come on, it is a coming-of-age story) and the steamy parts leave most everything to the readers imagination. I haven’t read 50 Shades of Grey. ;-)

Now, who should I invite to carry on this silly blog hop?  How about John Emil Augustine and my girls Lisa Day, Mel Toye, and Paige Bleu!!!

Excerpt
I was physically attacked by a woman who didn’t even know me. Yes, my boyfriend was her former husband, but she tried to ruin me. While she was not my worst nemesis, I have had plenty of opposition from others. Yet she caused me plenty of grief during a time when I didn’t have the energy for anymore negativity. Throughout my life, I’ve had many disappointments, survived many losses and had more than my share of sorrow. I had my expectations crushed repeatedly, yet I was still optimistic and believed there were good things to come. 
 Even when I felt there should be more than this, somehow I was always able to find the positive in any negative situation. I believed life could be good and we could do well. That said, I still believed people should be accountable for their actions; not that I was a saint or anything even close to that. The bottom line was, I believed in payback. Ruth, the soon to be ex-wife of my boyfriend, deserved to be punished for her actions.  When she came after me with her racial slurs and wads of spit, I realized just how uncivilized a person could be. 
Recipe
I am really a chocolate person above everything else but I will share a great recipe my brother used to use when making couscous. I couldn’t walk away without his recipe so here it is!!!

MOROCCAN COUSCOUS
Serves 6-8

2 cups butternut squash, diced (3/4-inch)
2 cups yellow onion, chopped (2 onions)
1 1/2 cups carrots, diced (3/4-inch) (about 4)
1 1/2 cups zucchini, diced (3/4-inch) (about 2 medium)
2 Tbsp good olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned broth
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp saffron threads
1 1/2 cups couscous
2 scallions, chopped, white and green parts
1. PREP VEGETABLES: Preheat oven to 375. Place squash, onions, carrots, and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown, 30-35 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula.

 2. PREP BROTH: In a saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil. Turn off heat. Add butter, 1 tsp salt (depending on the saltiness of your broth), 1/2 tsp pepper, cumin, and saffron. Stir and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
COMBINE: When the vegetables are done, bring the chicken stock back to a boil. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, place couscous and then add vegetables. Pour stock over it all. Do not stir. Immediately cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil and let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Add scallions and toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Home wrecker I
LINKS:
AMAZON.COM 
GOODREADS 

WEBSITE 

FACEBOOK: BRENDA PERLIN'S HOME WRECKER 

FACEBOOK: HOME WRECKER: THE BROOKLYN AND BO CHRONICLES

AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE

TWITTER

LINKEDIN




PINTEREST










2 comments:

  1. Great job Brenda! My co-author would so agree with you about the cooking, lol! It's really four letter word to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamylee! My mom would be so disappointed that I did not pick up any of her cooking skills. I sure do love to eat good food!!! Just the same this was fun!

      Delete