Friday, October 18, 2013

S.L. Wallace has done it again with a brand new release, Dante's Day Off



In early July 2013, the following news article made headlines: "Possibility of First Head Transplant Fraught with Ethical and Medical Dilemmas." Are head transplants really in our near future, and what will that mean for mankind? Dante Marando understands that the human body is fragile. With recent medical advances, he's certain scientists will soon be able to keep healthy people alive for longer stretches of time, and he is determined to be a part of history in the making. Is Dante interested in helping mankind thrive, or is he only looking out for himself?


Crossroads of Humanity Blog post: First Head Transplant Fraught with Dilemmas



Bio:
S.L. Wallace is an upper elementary Montessori teacher and life long writer who is a descendant of the famous William Wallace. Like him, she believes in freedom and independence. Unlike him, she fights her battles with the pen. 

Questions:

1. How did you begin your fiction writing journey?

I've always been a fan of the written word, and I have the nature of a storyteller. If storytelling is a learned behavior, then I most certainly learned it sitting around the dinner table, especially when my paternal grandmother was present. If, however, storytelling is in my genes, then I most certainly inherited it from my paternal grandmother. As for writing down fictional stories with the intent of publication, that was sparked by a vivid dream in early 2011. I began by writing down everything I could remember about my dream: names, places, descriptions, feelings, everything. Then I wrote the history of my main characters. After that, I began writing the story. Imagine my surprise, when a month later, the governor of my state began busting public unions. I attended a meeting and heard a disturbing statistic about the low number of wealthy people and how much money they had compared to everyone else. I remember thinking, "Oh my God, I'm living in my novel!" After that, I couldn't stop writing, and furthermore, I felt my story needed to be heard. Even though my stories are all fictional, to date, they all contain elements of truth.

2. If you could have one wish, what would it be?

I'm not a fan of wishes. I think we're mostly here to learn, and as much as I'd like to wish away pain and suffering for all, then we wouldn't be learning as much about the good things in life like compassion, would we? To keep my wish simple, I guess I'll wish for a new car. It can be a new used car. I'd just like on that isn't over 15 years old and falling to pieces. If I could have an electric car that would be better for the environment too.

3. What is your favorite genre to read on a rainy day?

It's a tie between historical fiction and science fiction because I enjoy learning about the past as well as imagining the future.

4. Are you an animal person, and if so what is your favorite animal?

Yes, I am most definitely an animal person. My husband asks me not to tell him when our pets are sick or dying, because I'm always right. The thing is, I don't cause their illness or suffering, I'm just able to recognize it for what it is early on. He always seems to forget the good things I notice about our animals, like when that pet mouse I brought home was pregnant. Her babies were so darn cute too! But if I have to pick just one, I guess I'll chose chinchillas. On the contrary, I think I'm actually a detriment to plants.

5. What was your biggest dream as a child? 

I wanted to be a vet. Despite question number four, I really did want to be a vet until my mom helped me pursue that dream by setting it up so I could shadow the vet who visited her friend's farm to check a pregnant cow. That was gooey and gross. And when I asked the vet a bunch of questions, I wasn't happy to learn that when one is training to be a vet, you get to clean up all the sick and bloody messes in the back room for the first few years at least. I also didn't like learning that animals don't like you very much when you're a vet.

Amazon





No comments:

Post a Comment