Saturday, December 21, 2013

FROM THE ABYSS by JOHN EMIL AUGUSTINE!!! NOW on AMAZON.COM


I am excited to share my blog  with one of my very favorite authors and one of my most loyal writer friends, John Emil Augustine. We were introduced sometime last year on Marsha Casper Cook’s blog radio show and I have been inspired by his sharp mind, kind heart, and warm spirit ever since.

His generosity has no bounds which I discovered early on in our relationship. I am grateful for the help he has offered me with my writing and for his ongoing support of my own work.

His heartfelt and inspiring book, “From The Abyss” is now available on Amazon.com.

Synopsis
24-year-old John Augustine is looking for a lasting, loving relationship and finds one hidden where he least expects it. Knowing that no relationship is perfect, he walks in with eyes wide open but is unable to see the future swirling with hell and heartache. Amidst the struggles of a new marriage, John begins to realize his wife is far different than the woman he thought he married. Her mental illness soon drags the new family past the point of no return. As a man, John struggles to be strong and tackle their problems single-handedly, though the marital foundation is eroding before his eyes. But once his wife files for divorce, he finds himself in a free-fall.

My review of From the Abyss

It's really refreshing to read a memoir this honest from a male's point of view. In this story his sex doesn't matter because you see HIM in all his rawness, insecurities and sufferings. It doesn't take long to get absorbed into this story.  It also doesn't take long to have the feeling that you know this guy. This guy could be your friend. He is familiar and you can't help being drawn to him. There are so many moments that I feel so emotional about as he is spilling his guts out on a silver platter. He does not seem to concern himself to how this makes him look to the world, he is just telling his story as he knows to be true. I have to admire his honesty and courage. What he has done here takes bravery. He just seems to be on a noble mission to share his side of the story in hopes it will touch someone or help them get out of the bad situation they may find themselves. This is a human tale told with such candidness that I am in awe of his character. There is no ego just one man setting the record straight. Recording a life that could have sunk or swam and it looks to me that he has sailed across the rocky seas and got himself further away from the abyss to a better life.

"Sometimes, I think I would like to go back and fix what I did; take the off-ramp. But you just never get to do that. Not really. Maybe you wouldn't want to. Because those signs keep showing up until you understand what is written. If not then, it would have hit me at another time. I saw the sign but didn't realize what it meant. And in fairness to me, there was no way I could have known. You can only really, truly see the future when it's in the past."

A great read whether you have been in a good relationship or a sick one. If you have lived long enough, there are things in this poignant memoir that you might just be able to relate to.
The story comes from a dark place but is told with optimism for the future. Are you searching for your own silver lining? There is without a doubt a better life around the corner. You just have to stay open to all and any possibilities.

When there is love in your heart, there is HOPE!



Bio:
John Emil Augustine grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota and toured in his twenties and early thirties with local and national acts; writing, arranging, and performing with notable jazz, blues, gospel, reggae, post funk, prog rock, and folk groups. John has also been a landscaper, mail carrier, English professor, and forklift operator. He currently lives in Minneapolis with his wife and four boys.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment