Sunday, February 23, 2014

Karen Magill shares her personal story, On The Right Side: My Story of Survival and Success


What if you woke one day to find yourself paralysed on one side of your body?

That’s what happened to Karen Magill on June 5, 2000. Nine days later she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and just over three months after that, she had to leave the best job she had ever had. Ms. Magill started on a frightening, confusing journey that was her life now.

Then something interesting happened. Once Karen began adjusting to her new circumstances, coming to terms with the fact that her former life had vanished, she realized that the MS was a gift. Her eyes opened to the possibilities around her. 

On The Right Side, My Story of Survival and Success looks at Ms. Magill’s life with MS and the factors in life, which influence her.  This isn’t a how to book on living well with chronic illness, but rather a touching, opinionated, sometimes humorous story on how one person has gone from partial paralysis to jumping to touch low hanging tree leaves. 


As long as we aren’t six feet under, we are on the right side and anything is possible. That’s the philosophy Ms. Magill lives by and hopes that readers will come to realize that they too can overcome hardships and live good lives. 

1. Why did you write On the Right Side?
Ever since I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, I have wanted to share my story with others. I hope that what I went through and the mistakes I made will help others to realize what is happening if something similar happens to them. And I am a big believer in realizing people are stronger than we think. We can get survive and even succeed when life knocks us down.
 2. Was it hard for you to share such a personal life story?
I consulted a diary or two that I kept at that time in order to refresh memory. I found at times that I had to walk away from the computer because writing the events brought forth some powerful emotions I had tamped down over the years. I kept the story as honest as possible; people are going to see my warts.
 3. Has it benefited you? 
Writing this book helped me to come to terms with events that had bothered me for years. It was also cathartic, I was able to let go of things in the past that were holding me back. 
4. Who do you think this book will touch. 
I feel On The Right Side will not only touch those who are dealing with chronic illness and it can be difficult. Also, it will open people’s eyes that may have 
5. What do you hope from sharing this kind of personal journey. 
I hope that sharing this story will help others to realize that they don’t have to let illness or other obstacles stop them from doing what they want.


AUTHOR BIO
Karen Magill believes that anything is possible. When she writes fiction, Karen likes to treat the paranormal as an everyday occurrence because she believes that these attributes are within us all.
Forced to leave the workforce in 2000 by the onslaught of MS, Karen saw this as an opportunity to explore her lifelong desire to write. Initially she explored other areas of writing before deciding that her future lay with creating novels.
To date, Ms. Magill is the author of three published paranormal novels, including the award winning The Bond, A Paranormal Love Story. In March of 2014, she will publish her first non-fiction  book, an inspirational story of her journey – so far – with multiple sclerosis. It is entitled On The Right Side, My Story of Survival and Success. Her fourth paranormal novel, A Little Poison – the sequel to Missing Flowers – should be out sometime in 2014.

Karen lives in an eclectic area of Vancouver Canada and draws inspiration from the history and stories around her. 
Links
Twitter: @KarenMagill

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for allowing me to share this with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure. So excited for other people to gain inspiration from you and your new book Karen!

      Delete