Thursday, March 13, 2014

We Are Strong, But We Are Fragile by Bob Mustin available now on Amazon, Kobo and Nook


2090 A.D. — The America nation has collapsed, and its remnants have been at war for a half-century. 

Samuel II, mayor of Citadel, a Blue Ridge Mountain enclave, is determined to end the city’s wars with a devolved tribal society called Freedomland. He sends troubled but insightful city archivist Jakob History to a bartering meet-up, hoping an interview with tribal leader Abraham Trapper might help further peaceful relations. Instead, the encounter leads Jakob to reexamine America’s past. Soon, Jonathan, Jakob's mentor, exposes the archivist to a surprising link with Abraham, which seems to set Jakob at odds with Citadel. But when Samuel leads Jakob to a danger-filled glimpse of Abraham’s tribal life, the archivist’s preconceptions of both cultures comes crashing down. Finally, a last, fateful encounter between Jakob and Abraham lays bare human strengths and weaknesses that are at the basis of civilization itself. 

Bio

Hello! There's a good chance that I'm a lot like you - - I'm a compulsive reader, and always have been. And as far back as age eight, I've made stabs at writing. My first story was one I recited to my mom (I hadn't learned to write very well yet, and her handwriting was letter perfect), "Peter and the Golden Cave," a blatant ripoff of an old Ali Baba story. I had a lot of encouragement to write while in high school, but fate took me into the military (the U.S. Naval Academy) and later into engineering school (Louisiana Tech) and a career in transportation.
Still, writing cropped up - I wrote letters for my bosses, even became a specification writer, and editor of our agency's newsletter. And I managed a small literary journal, the Rural Sophisticate, then based in Georgia.
It wasn't long before the fiction-writing bug hit me - hard. I took it seriously and began writing short stories, took writing seminars and classes, and finally began a novel. Then a great break: I won a place as North Carolina Writer in Residence at Peace College, under Doris Betts' guiding hand. After moving to North Carolina, I entered UNC-Asheville's MLA program and, after focusing on creative writing, I secured that most treasured degree.
Now my wife and I live in a semi-rural locale near Asheville, where we share our property with three koi and a band of contentious squirrels.

As they have a way of saying on the British sitcoms, "That's it, really." Still, I've included some of my publishing credits below, ones not in evidence on Amazon, just in case you're interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment