Thursday, April 10, 2014

Inspiration comes from all things. Good and bad.


When I got sick with a rare auto-immune disease called TRANSVERSE MYELITIS in 2007 my life changed forever. Now I suffer every single day of my life. Every minute but I try not to complain. Well, I am human so it's not always easy.

I live with peripheral neuropathy among other things. When you are given such a tragic diagnosis your life changes in an instant. The world as you once knew it is now but a distant memory. I have had to pick up the pieces and live in a body that no longer feels like my own. I used to be a healthy, active and vital person. Illness takes takes that away from you. The carefree days become a thing of the past.

When I was told that I might NEVER walk again it felt like I was on the outside looking in. The room spun and I couldn’t catch my breath. Even though I had experienced the death of my parents which devastated me it was nothing in comparison to losing so much of yourself. I had to learn to look at myself differently and mourn the loss of who once was. And mourning is what I did. I cried for the girl no longer existed.

Though I am sounding like a bit of a downer, I am writing this from a place of inspiration. For one thing I beat the odds as I can still swing my hips from side to side while I am walking.

Today I had to do a bi-yearly medical procedure, which at one time would have devastated me but I am human and resilient. What other choice do I have? Life is too good to fold as I have much to look forward to in the future.

I want to thank the love of my life for his ongoing support (Brooklyn loves Bo) and my friends and family for their support and my doctors (Dr. Gruenfelder in particular) If it wasn’t for people like this the suffering would be unbreakable. 


This is the story of a girl and I am thankful I am still well enough to share my slice of life.

3 comments:

  1. You are my inspiration �� ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe... thank you. So giving you are. Hearts and smiles right back at ya Debb!!!!! <3

      Delete
  2. Those ? Marks were hearts and a smile. Grin

    ReplyDelete