Monday, May 26, 2014

Chocolate and Books Blog Hop Challenge

Gosh, I hate to be left out so when I saw that Mark Barry, (Wiz Green) Terry Tyler, Tara Ford and Ngaire Elder were blogging about two of the most divine subjects, chocolate and books I wanted in. Why wait for an invite? Right.


My chocolate confessional starts when I was a chubby little girl back in the seventies. It was then that my mom introduced me to See’s candy. From then on I was hooked and to this day I don’t know a better chocolate on this planet. Well, let’s just say the place gives me warm fuzzes all over. 

I remember a year on Valentine’s day being in line at See’s (there was always a line, darn it) and who do we bump into? My dad! Better late than never. The line was out the door but we didn’t care. I knew I had a half pounder coming my way.


Being a chubby kid was horrible. I didn't fit in with the perfect girls in my class who looked at me with such pity. These girls were mean and stuck up and the guys were not much better.

It was when I discovered Judy Blume’s books that I felt understood. There was an instant connection when I read her stories of misfits and outsiders. It was through reading her books that I started to feel okay about myself.



Later on my mom sent me to fat camp (actually it was Weight Watchers camp) and that turned me around. I learned how to make good food choices but I could still have chocolate as long as I ate it sparingly. And that is what I did. Knowing how expensive that camp was, I wasn’t about to gain an ounce and I never did. After that my weight problem resolved but the feeling of being an outcast never went away.


I read stories that I could relate to like A tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (hence the name Brooklyn who is the main character in my series, Brooklyn and Bo Chronicles) Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I loved messed up characters with problems worse than mine. Relatable and I relished in them. To this day, coming-of-age stories always fasinates me. Always wanting to understand what it is that makes growing up so difficult.



Even though I never gained my weight back I have continued to have a chocolate obsession. Nothing has changed.

While I was in my early twenties I worked in a Beverly Hills restaurant called RJ’s. Besides the mile high chocolate cake that came with dark cappuccino ice cream and thick hot fudge splattered all over the top, my big compulsion was the chocolate chips that they served with the coffee. During every shift I had to talk myself out of sinking my hands into the chip jar. Most of the time my battle was lost and I would eat the chocolates, one by one throughout the night. Co-workers all knew I had a problem and would often warn me to stay away but I just couldn’t. Once I had that first bite, that first taste of the rich and creamy chocolate in my mouth, I knew I was a goner. No self-control. I would hate myself at the end of the night but the damage had already been done.

These days chocolate gets me through my highs and lows. It is alluring and comforting. There is nothing better than the love of a good man or dog, a good book and a hand full of Reese's  miniatures. Want some?

My partners in crime:

                    



                          









12 comments:

  1. Chocolate is my way of getting through the worst days!!! MMMM MMMM YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahah...more unofficial chocolate and books fun! Well done, Bren, and with the success of Shattered Reality, you've deffo showed a few people what's what, huh! Save me one of those Reese miniatures...:D Marky xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not resist Mark... you did such a mouth watering good job that I had to give it a shot. Loving you!!!! I will have a bag of Reese's for you... well, I will try to.
      ;-)

      Delete
  3. From one chocoholic to another ... You are making me crave See's candies right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right girlfriend!!!!! I am making ME crave it too!!! xo

      Delete
  4. Hey, chocolate is a beautiful thing. There are some days when you just need it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun post - best of luck with sales :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda, your choci choices were delicious as your book choices were intriguing. I wonder how many of us will now bed-down at night with a book and box of chocolates after reading these posts!!! Love it n x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ngaire. The chocolate is sounding good right now!!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for the sooooper mentions! Your blog looks fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Terry! You all inspired me... To blog, of course. I am always inspired by chocolate ;-)

      Delete