Monday, May 12, 2014

Christoph Fischer's Time to Let Go is now available on Amazon.com!

 I have the pleasure of having the wildly talented Christoph Fischer on my blog with a bit of Q & A. He has written several books. All of which are brilliantly done. I think you will agree with me. They are all masterpieces in their own right. 
Today I am excited to be sharing Christoph's latest release, Time to Let Go. 

Time to Let Go is a contemporary family drama set in Britain.
Following a traumatic incident at work Stewardess Hanna Korhonen decides to take time off work and leaves her home in London to spend quality time with her elderly parents in rural England. There she finds that neither can she run away from her problems, nor does her family provide the easy getaway place that she has hoped for. Her mother suffers from Alzheimer’s disease and, while being confronted with the consequences of her issues at work, she and her entire family are forced to reassess their lives.
The book takes a close look at family dynamics and at human nature in a time of a crisis. Their challenges, individual and shared, take the Korhonens on a journey of self-discovery and redemption.


My Review
“Time to Let Go” invites you right in and peaks your curiosity from the start. I was compelled to read as much as time would allow because I was curious as to where this were to lead. The writing is sharp and clear making it a very pleasant reading experience even though it is based on a very difficult emotional subject matter.

This story has depth and personality as the characters come alive on the pages. Christoph Fischer has a rare talent. A natural ability that I have seen with all of his books. He actually takes you places while taking you in. There is something so interesting in the way he shares the human existence. He does it to perfection as if painting on a canvas. There is something very sentimental in the writings as if he has experienced these things in his own personal life.


Time to Let Go touched me. How one family faces the future with the struggle of Alzheimer's looming around every corner. The book is  emotionally driven and written with heart and compassion.


"He wondered how long it had been since he had a proper conversation with his wife. The decline had been so sly that it was hard to pin-point a particular moment when their exchanges had turned into something less. Discussions had gradually stopped being abstract or highbrow and had homed in on practical issues, and the petty little things in the here and now. He missed the partner he had lost to the disease, but was able to console himself that the lovable woman he married was still around."



Christoph, pleaseTell us a little about yourself as writer and a person.

I am originally from Germany but I have not lived there for over 20 years now. I have had a diverse career with jobs in museums, libraries, the British Film Institute and an airline and have moved homes a lot, but now I live a very quiet life in the UK countryside with my partner and our three Labradoodles.

Awe...Labradoodles are so darn cute. How fortunate you are!
What made you become a writer? Have you always written?

I started writing only about 5 years ago, as an experiment, not as a serious ambition. I was surprised that the projects I started became complete novels and that there are people who like to read them. In my youth I wrote for school magazines but nothing in the long period since. Now it has become a way of life. 

How long does it take you to write and publish a book?

The first draft usually comes out rather quickly, the fastest ones were written within a month, but then there are plenty of re-writes and edits before I show the books to anyone at all.  I take creative breaks during which I edit drafts of other novels before I return for another rewrite. When I am happy with the book, then the beta readers get their say and another rewrite happens before I give the book to the editors.  If we were to work non-stop on one book it would probably take 6-7 months. 

Is there anything auto-biographical in the books? 

I guess I find myself in many of the characters and a lot of my stories are ‘stolen from life’. However,I find myself bored whenever things are too similar to my own life and then I always feel compelled to change it. Luckily my life was never as dramatic as my books.

Which of your books is your favourite?

Whichever book I am currently writing seems to be the most important. “The Luck of the Weissensteiners” was my first published work, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Everything about it was a first: the first draft, the first hardcopy, the first review…
“Time to Let Go” is the first contemporary book and has a lot of personal relevance…
It seems I simply can’t make up my mind.


What are your next projects? Tell us about your other books.

I am currently working on a book set in Scandinavia from the Finnish Civil War in 1918 onwards, showing European History in the 20thcentury from a Nordic perspective. It is also a love triangle between idealists and is currently loosely entitled “In Search of a Revolution”.
I am also writing the very first draft of a psychological thriller, called “The Healer” which is a new genre and a totally new and exciting experience for me.


I can't wait to read that. Adore thrillers!
What is the easiest and the hardest about writing?

Writing and editing a story comes easy to me and I enjoy it.
The marketing of the books for me is the hardest part. I would much rather people find my books than me having to tell them about them. I am not a natural sales person.


I am so with you on that Christoph. Marketing can be a bitter pill.
What is your life like? What do you do for pleasure and work when you are not writing?

I love to walk my dogs, go to the gym, entertain friends, watch TV programmes on DVD or Netflix and play Candy Crush.

What are your favourite books/ films/ albums?

“Shantaram” by David Gregory Roberts; “Satan Wants Me” by Robert Irwin; “NGLND EXPD” by Ian Hutson
“Ghandi”, “Life of Brian”, “Muriel’s Wedding”
“Why Can’t I Be You” by The Cure, “A Night To Remember” by Cyndi Lauper; “Dummy” by Portishead


Gosh, the Cure used to be my favorite. I used to play the song "There is a light that never goes out" over and over again. Still love them.

Okay, so what would your friends tell us if we asked for your best and your oddest qualities?

Best: Loyalty.
Oddest: My habit of getting up very early


What are your favourite animal/ colour/ outdoor activity?

Dogs.
Ocean Blue.
Hiking.


What would you take to a remote island?

My dogs. If it has to be a thing, then a mountain bike to get around and stay fit.

I guess you can say we are both dog and fitness fanatics! We could be great friends. Wish we could meet for a jog on the beach with our dogs. Darn it! Thanks for the great interview. Let's learn more about you and where to find your other books Christoph!


Biography:
Christoph Fischer was born in Germany, near the Austrian border, as the son of a Sudeten-German father and a Bavarian mother. Not a full local in the eyes and ears of his peers he developed an ambiguous sense of belonging and home in Bavaria. He moved to Hamburg in pursuit of his studies and to lead a life of literary indulgence. After a few years he moved on to the UK where he now lives in a small hamlet, not far from Bath.  He and his partner have three Labradoodles to complete their family. 
Christoph worked for the British Film Institute, in Libraries, Museums and for an airline. ‘The Luck of The Weissensteiners’ was published in November 2012; 'Sebastian' in May 2013 and The Black Eagle Inn in October 2013. He has written several other novels which are in the later stages of editing and finalisation.

THE LUCK OF THE WEISSENSTEINERS
On Amazon
SEBASTIAN
On Amazon
THE BLACK EAGLE INN
On Amazon
TIME TO LET GO
Amazon US (Ebook)
Amazon US (Paperback)
Amazon UK (Ebook)
Amazon UK (Paperback)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely feature, Brenda! :-)

    ReplyDelete