Tuesday, August 12, 2014

John Emil Augustine and Write Is Right: Kalamazoo



John Emil Augustine is the author of the From the Abyss book series. He also has two CDs out, and now there is an indication that there are writing workshops in store along with a Go Fund Me campaign.

Below are some questions I had for John so we could all  understand the writing workshops and how they relate to the Go Fund me initiative.




Hi John. Would you mind giving your perspective on how this all fits together. You put out a book about your own abuse.

I did, and I had no idea the impact it would have. But I began having people write to me about their own abuse. I couldn’t believe people would do that at first, but then it occurred to me that writing to someone who understood an abusive situation was cathartic. There was healing involved.

Did you respond to these people.

I did. And I now realize I was responding much differently than someone who didn’t understand would have. The normal response is, “You’re just imagining things,” or, “Buck up.” And that’s what you tell your kids when they fall off their bike or something because we can’t dwell on the small stuff; we have to move on. However, for someone who has been raped, for example, there is a lot more trauma there to deal with than a skinned knee. But our society is stuck on “Get over it” because we really have no collective idea how to respond to a truly horrific story.

And what is the response?

I think the first response is to listen and understand. But before even that can happen, a person has to get the story out. That’s what I realized as well: I have a few people writing to me. What about those who aren’t writing but want to? What can I do for them?

Writing workshops?

Writing workshops. Having studied adult education, communications, writing, and the creative process extensively, and with my innate ability to be non-judgmental, I realized I am supposed to be encouraging people to write. When I realized that, I also realized I am doing exactly what I used to do in my writing classroom: modeling what I want people to do. In writing my book series, I am setting the stage for these workshops.

So the workshops are called Write is Right.

Yes, because writing can be the right way for people who can’t verbalize their own story to get it out. And if it’s your story, it’s only right that you should be able to own it. Getting that story out is a right that abuse victims often feel they are denied. In many ways, to write really is right.

And what is the Kalamazoo part of this?

As you can imagine, you don’t just rent a space and expect people to come for your writing workshop. You have to get the word out. Kalamazoo is hosting a fairly large book convention next year, and I am trying to get there to begin the next phase in getting the word out about my book series and the workshops. Everything is a step along the way, and this happens to be one I can’t do on my own yet. But with a little push, I will be able to.

Kalamazoo is basically a step in the right direction?

Exactly. My wife asks me, “You’re writing books, you’re recording CDs, you’re planning workshops…can’t you just settle on one thing?” I forget that it looks like I am all over the place to someone looking in. To me, everything is just part of the same goal: helping people to heal. The further I get into that cause, the more each of my little pursuits begins to fit together. Everything I do is a means to a larger end. The book convention in Kalamazoo is no different. It is just a part of the whole of my life’s work. I just happen to need a push to make this step happen.

So explain how Go Fund Me works to those who are unfamiliar.

You just go to my page, for example, and decide if you want to back the project. If you want to pledge five dollars or a zillion dollars, you just click the “Donate Now” button and use your credit card. If you donate $10, $25, $100, or $250, there are thank you gifts I will send to you, which makes it kind of fun. Also, you will get updates as a backer and can follow the story of the project. It’s supposed to be fun and for a very good cause. There’s plenty more information about it on my Go Fund Me page.

John, thank you for sharing this. The link to John’s project is http://www.gofundme.com/writeisright
Also, John’s website is www.johnemilaugustine.com.

6 comments:

  1. What a thought provoking post! As a former family therapist, I've heard many abuse stories. John's story has obviously touched a lot of people, and what a gift he's given others. As John has pointed out, to listen is key. Not only to listen, but to hear. And write is right. I like how he's communicating how much that can help. There was a time, when people did not openly discuss their abuse, as if some of them were to blame for what had happened to them.

    Wishing you success with your work, John. And good luck with your Kickstarter campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. So nice of you. Appreciate your kind words and for taking the time to read this.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Diana. I appreciate your words! Much love. John

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I already posted this here, but I think I missed a step. Thank you, Brenda, for being a wonderful and supportive friend. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure is mine John. Good wishes for a successful campaign.

      Delete
  4. AND, just so we make this fun, my Kickstarter project is at $51 pledged right now. If we can make it to $100 by the end of the day (8/12/14), I will post a song I wrote/recorded when I was 14. This may be a little embarrassing, but it's for fun, right? And it's for a good cause. Spread the word!

    ReplyDelete