Friday, October 30, 2015

NEW COVER ~ 'Once Upon A Time In The City Of Criminals' by Mark Barry

By day, Terry Flynn clears the houses of the dead while by night, he drives alluring lesbian prostitute, Chloe, to her “tricks” - members of the “Feminocracy”; Nottingham’s increasingly powerful strata of senior civil servants, businesswoman and female professionals.
Despite himself, he falls in love with Chloe. And so does Hope Calder, impossibly rich COE of Calder, a multi-national conglomerate. A woman who stops at nothing to get whatever she wants.
When Chloe declines her advances, the spurned tycoon swears drastic action. With the cunning Neville, Chloe’s boss, manipulating the situation to his own ends, and Hope’s small army of corporate schills in the shadows, Chloe finds her life in danger...

...and only one man can protect her. 
Terry Flynn, Loser, Jailbird, Hooligan. 
Fifty year old crackhead.


~ This novel is dedicated to Mrs. Patricia Barry, who lived life to the max and never took much notice of authority in all its forms. 
Just like the characters herein. 



My Review 


Once Upon A Time In The City Of Criminals left me speechless, numb, shocked. Just about blew my mind. Kind of a quirky one sided love story. Mixed with a perfect combination of sex and violence.

The guy writes like no other. He takes you to the scene and  delivers. I was in the thick of it all and the hair on my arms stood towards the sky. Mark Barry has a way of telling you a chilling story that is not only original but intoxicating. I couldn't get enough. Most books lose some of their flair as the story progresses but not the case with this powerful story. The ending of this book gave me goosebumps, righteously so. Gripping, satisfying, realistic, and dynamic. Once Upon A Time In The City Of Criminals has big guns all the way through. 

The author's use of language is brilliant. Hand picked gems that caught me by surprise. The rich plot line kept me guessing as I read as though I was running out of time, needing to know where this story would lead me. Savoring the eloquent lines as they rushed past me. I am in awe.

Once Upon A Time In The City Of Criminals is hardcore and plays out like a Hollywood gangster film. Can see this on the big screen like Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Stellar scenes and realistic in your face dialog.

Quote ~


"There's serious money here. I can smell it, and it temporarily makes my guts turn over. The whole place stinks of cash, of decisions, of self-interest, of colossal hypocrisy and narcissism. I'll never get my hands on a tiny percentage of what these people are worth. I have always hated the rich for precisely the reasons they love themselves. If I had been a little bit luckier, it could have been me, but I doubt it. Too much integrity. Never met anyone rich who had integrity."


No comments:

Post a Comment